Wednesday 30 May 2012

France - Day 8


Short posting as I had a long day and I'm a bit tired.

I'd set out early from Grenoble without any real plan other than to head towards Zeebrugge knowing I had two and a half days. I typed Zeebrugge into my Satellite Navigator and selected the 'no autoroutes' option. It gave the distance as about 950 km/ 590 miles, so I decided to try and cover a lot of distance today.
I rode on lots of back roads passing through towns and villages, sometimes deviating from the advised route to look for shops or petrol stations.
I haven't drawn a map but I passed through: Bourg-en-Bresse, Besançon, and Vesoul before deciding it was time to start thinking about finding somewhere to stay. I'd picked up a brochure in the Formule 1 I'd staying in in Grenoble, and that showed they had a hotel in Chaumont, so I headed there. By the time I got there I was a bit tired, so it was a bit of a disappointment to find that they were full. A quick look at the brochure showed that they had two hotels in Troyes, 90 km further on. Luckily, the first one I tried had a vacancy, and that's where I'm writing this from.
Today's distance was about 400 miles/600 km, so I've done a substantial part of my journey. The day passed very well with plenty to see, and I sort of 'got into the groove' and just kept going. No photos today, but I plan on visiting this museum tomorrow, if it's still there. I had downloaded details from their website before I left, but when I checked tonight, the website has gone! If it's not there, there's plenty of other interesting things to see in Reims.
I didn't think you'd want Kraftwerk to do the 'Song of the Day' two days running, so here's someone else doing one of theres.

No comments:

Post a Comment